A consultant was invited to be a guest presenter at a webinar held for an audience of professionals with a large company that attracted a note-worthy list of attendees.
The fee for an appearance such as this can attract fees in the region of $1,500 and rather than taking the fee for themselves, the consultant donated his fee to help the homeless in New York, the base location for the company who was hosting the webinar.
This has created 15 giving impacts to help those facing homelessness on the streets of New York.
The Coalition for the Homeless published some basic facts about the current state of homelessness in New York. For full details visit their website here
- Homelessness in New York City has reached the highest levels since the Great Depression of the 1930s.
- In September 2022, there were 60,252 homeless people, including 19,310 homeless children, sleeping each night in New York City’s main municipal shelter system.
- 107,510 different homeless adults and children slept in the New York City Department of Homeless Services (DHS) shelter system.
- The number of homeless New Yorkers sleeping each night in municipal shelters is now 26% higher than it was 10 years ago.
- The number of homeless single adults is 99% higher than it was 10 years ago.
- Research shows that the primary cause of homelessness, particularly among families, is lack of affordable housing.
- Studies show that the large majority of unsheltered homeless New Yorkers are people living with mental illness or other severe health problems.
- Black and Hispanic/Latinx New Yorkers are disproportionately affected by homelessness.
Basic Facts About Homelessness: New York City, published by Coalition for the Homeless, updated November 2022. https://www.coalitionforthehomeless.org/basic-facts-about-homelessness-new-york-city/